Cheshire Family Supported accommodation

Helping families who are homeless to stabilise their lives and live independently in the community.

What we do

Following an extensive modernisation and refurbishment programme, this service provides housing and support for up to ten families who are homeless in Halton, Cheshire.

We provide short-term, transitional support for up to four weeks, allowing us time to source more suitable accommodation for the family, develop coping skills and begin tackling the cause of their homelessness, including support to access other services.

All our flats are self-contained and situated within the same gated community, with staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide support whenever you need it.

We can help if you are:

  • A family residing in Halton
  • Are homeless or becoming homeless

How we can help

Every family is different, so we tailor our service to the needs of each family that stays with us. We can provide support with:

  • Finding a temporary place to live
  • Finding a more permanent home
  • Preventing future homelessness
  • Accessing longer term support
  • Accessing the correct financial and support, including benefits

How to get help

To access this service, you must be referred to us by Halton Borough Council’s Housing Solutions team.

The Housing Solutions Team can be accessed by calling the Council’s Contact Centre on 0303 333 4300 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

An out-of-hours number is also available for emergency housing issues, for example if you are homeless immediately: 0333 000 4300.

Please take the time to read our Privacy Statement to understand how P3 will process your personal data.

How we’re funded

This service is commissioned by Halton Borough Council.

Halton BC Logo